Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Passive Solar Air Heater - Step Three - Materials

Alright, so you have a general idea of the design. Now refine it.
  • What kinds of material do you want to use?
You can either buy many of the products new, or look around to find products that will produce the intent of the material in the design. I am using a combination.

Here is my list so far:

  1. 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood for the backing (donated to me)
  2. 2"x6" timber for the frame (donated)
  3. 200+ aluminum cans
  4. 4'x8' sheet of plexiglass (need to buy, not sure the quality yet... it's expensive)
  5. black heat resistant paint - matte or flat (BBQ paint)
  6. batt insulation - pink stuff (extra from de jam space)
  7. sealing caulking
  8. adhesive caulking
  9. tin sheets, aluminum, or some sort of cover (undecided)
  10. fan
  11. Thermostat/differential thermostat
As I go through the construction step by step, I'll explain the intent of each component, and provide some alternative examples of what could be used. There may be some materials that would work better, or worse; however, they might be more or less expensive as well.

I am not intending to build the Bugatti of solar air heaters. My intent is to make the best solar air heater possible for a reasonable/cheap price. In the end, I suspect we will hit around 2 kW. We could maybe hit 3 kW if we went out and bought the best of the best... but that might increase the cost by 300% too. Which is no-sense. Maximize utility... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment